https://kelleymacdonaldart.com

My Website

Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Slice Of Melon, 6x8 Acrylic

SOLD



Yesterday afternoon I started this little Daily Painting, hoping to get ahead a day, so I could spend one whole day plein air painting followed by some studio work on bigger pieces.  But I just couldn't get this right.  I was using the local color, which had a dull dark red for the background, and a greenish white for the cloth under the fruit.  The shadow side looked reddish-greenish (now THERE's a color you won't find in a tube!) and the top of the fruit was vapid and white-ish under the light from the lamp.  So I threw in the towel and left it.  This morning it seemed I knew just what would work, and in about 20 minutes had gotten it to this stage - with no visual reference (we had eaten the cantaloupe for breakfast!).  Sometimes you just have to paint what it feels like.  This is one good example of that!

Thanks, everyone who emailed me about not giving up on food as a theme.  You're right.  Almost everything's 'been done'.  But not by me! :)

3 comments:

  1. Kelley, thank you so much for taking the time to stop by my blog and leave a comment. It is greatly appreciated. Happy painting!!! :o)

    Hmmmm, now that I see your pretty blueberries, I think I might just go eat some. Yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the background color against the orange. This is so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. that's a kickin' cantaloupe! You really got the skin and your edges are really lively and interesting.
    Love it!

    ReplyDelete

Awww THANKS for leaving a comment! You KNOW I love to hear from you!

Related Posts with Thumbnails