https://kelleymacdonaldart.com

My Website

Thursday, July 2, 2009

Tuberous Begonia, 6x6 Oil


Yesterday it was so wet & rainy, I went up to Oceanside 17 Gallery in Hull to paint with my friend Franny Andahazy, and also my friend Jeanne MacFarland. I had a windowsill full of gorgeous red tomatoes and begonias that had had 'mishaps' in the recent storms, with a few aqua bottles, and I loved their color together. So we packed them up and made a still life. I wiped off my first attempt - too many items - and got an order from Jeanne: Do Another One. So I did, but I edited out the tomato, and the recognizable parts of the bottle... for me it was all about that big red flower. Left the background indistinct.


Of course Paco came with, but my daughter Molly picked him up and babysat for the afternoon - while visiting HER friend Molly - thanks to the 2 Molly's for a peaceful painting session. This is Paco with Jeanne in front of the Daily Painting Wall at Oceanside - Jeanne's forearm is next to my painting of a teacup & sugar cubes you may remember! OK. Paco's Blog is updated today, too - 2 posts!

11 comments:

  1. Kelley,
    I love your big red begonia, especially with the blue and red color combo! The loose brushwork is really wonderful, so effortless! Adorable little Paco, looks like a wild child, full of energy, but very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great begonia. I can really see into the petal layers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes.... I also love the color combo! Beautiful painting Kelley!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your painting and title. Flowers are so hard for me to paint, I think I get them too crispy but yours is so soft and perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very beautiful painting, Kelley - kind of reminds me of Manet's flower paintings.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! Love this...the colors, the strong curving brush strokes. Just perfect! I agree with Edward. It feels very Manet-ish.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kelley, absolutely gorgeous color. Paco looks VERY determined!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Left you an award Kelley! Nothing to do but enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's always great to see new work from you Kelley! Love the thick application of paint on this one! Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Editing things out that are not needed - good reminder for all of us. Great painting!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great color and abstract qualities here.

    Also, you cracked me up with the next post (Off with his head!). :D

    ReplyDelete

Awww THANKS for leaving a comment! You KNOW I love to hear from you!

Related Posts with Thumbnails